[VAL] RE: '73 Safari Heater

In addition to the great advice that David gave, also check the
thermostat that is in the pilot flame.  I think yours is a resistance
type on your Suburban, so disconnect the end of the wire pigtails on
the thermostat, measure with an ohmmeter, light the pilot, and then
measure again - should see a fair change in the resistance.  On the
chance it is a microvolt thermostat, if you get no reading change,
check for a small (<1v) a mount of voltage when the flame is on.

Replacement thermostats are available from any of the RV parts dealers
(online ones too).
Best of luck,
RJ