[VAL] Did any VAC mbr attend this Illinois rally?

Airstreamers' days at Fiddlers rally may end

By Holly Hollman
DAILY Staff Writer
hhollman@decaturdaily.com 7 340-2445

ATHENS - For 22 years, they have descended on Athens High School like
a fleet of school buses.

But age, sickness and family tragedies could make this the last year
the school's back yard is covered in gleaming silver trailers and
colorful motor homes.

The Wally Byam Caravan Club, commonly referred to as the
Airstreamers, holds a rally annually in Athens. Leon and Jean
Dussault, who help organize the rally in conjunction with the
Tennessee Valley Old Time Fiddlers Convention, said this year's could
be the last one.

"We're just running out of help," Jean Dussault said.

On average, about 100 people come to the Athens High campus in 50
Airstreamers.

They set up camp behind the school and play games like joker under
the shade of a tent.

As students wait in the car line to leave school for the day, the
Airstreamers wave at them and joke around, like they did Tuesday.

"You got a little mud on your truck there," one Airstreamer told a
student in a white pickup smattered from tires to door in red mud.

"Yes, sir, I sure do," the student replied.

"Well, his mama ought to be proud," said one female Airstreamer who
was playing joker. "He said 'sir.' "

This group is comprised of those who own trailers and motor homes
that Airstream Inc. manufactured. Most are retirees.

Treks to Mexico

Airstream caravanners have been traveling across the country since
1952, when Wally Byam led the first caravan to Central America.
Byam's annual winter treks to Mexico led to the organization of a
club in 1955, according to group history.

Now they hold rallies throughout the United States, including the
Fiddlers Rally in Athens. They began arriving at Athens High on
Sunday and will stay the week.

While here, they eat at Catfish Inn, tour Belle Mina's cotton gin,
host a golf tournament and visit Isom's Orchard and buy apple
squeezings. For our non-Airstreamer readers, that's apple cider.

When Fiddlers kicks off Friday, the Council on Aging takes them to
Athens State University to watch the jam sessions and contests.

Although they're not paying a lodging tax, Greater Limestone County
Chamber of Commerce President Hugh Ball said these Airstreamers from
across the United States and Canada probably spend about $50,000 in
gas, shopping and food.

But that's not the extent of their impact, Ball said.

"By making repeat trips here, some could decide to move here to
live," Ball said. "They also carry their experiences here back to
their hometowns. The trickle effect is unknown, but any visibility of
our community is a positive thing."

'Traditional part'

Ball said the Airstreamers also are "such a traditional part of
Fiddlers, we would hate to see them leave us."

Leon Dussault said the group that comes to Athens is getting older.
There has been sickness and family tragedies that has kept members
from attending.

The group needs more participation in organizing the rally and
helping with trailer hook-ups and electrical issues.

Mayor Dan Williams said he didn't know this could be the
Airstreamers' last year, and he wants to see what the city can do to
encourage them to return.

Ball said the Chamber of Commerce also would do "whatever we could to
help."

"The city would definitely miss them," Williams said. "It's hard to
imagine Fiddlers without them."