[VAL] Dump gate help needed

Went to a high school reunion this past weekend (over 50 years) and
while getting ready to break camp yesterday, the dump gate refused to
operate!  Now then, I usually don't attempt to use the dump gate when
the tank is empty.  Therefore, my first question is, can I somehow get
up there and open the gate to drain the tank?  This should be fun.

Second question is, what does it take to replace this thing.  Please
don't tell me the tank has to come out!

This is, as stated below, a 1972 Trade Wind.

Dick & Rose Ann Harold
Noblesville, Indiana
1972 Airstream Trade Wind
WBCCI #8551