RE: [VAL] Re:"optimas"

Joe,

Gel batteries are simply lead acid under vacuum with a liquid in gel form.
The gel eventually will pull away from the cell plates with age as it is a
gell and not a liquid. Modern gels are better. You see them in everything
from home and business alarm systems, battery backup systems, lawn mower
electric start models, wheel chairs and scooters, deer feeders, etc. They
are just smaller.

The gels don't vent, and the gels afford any clock positioning.

Regular lead acid batteries like your golf car, car, truck, motorhome,
trailer, etc have the lead acid water and must be upright only. The liquid
is the best for performance demand and for longevity. There are expensive
ones that are totally sealed and use a rubber bladder like your cars master
brake cylinder. There are expensive ones on forklifts that use a plumbing
system from each cell to reservoirs to cycle like the radiator in your car.

Now for opinion. My opinion is that the best battery is the one you find
like at wally world: 2-3 yr free replacement non-prorated warranty, the
heaviest when you pick it up for the size you need since weight equals lead,
and the cheapest since 3 yrs is about all your gonna get out of it.

I don't have the deep pocket for the Intellivolt charger, the fancy battery,
and all the trimmings that I sure do admire. Got a champagne tast on a beer
budget for sure. So use that old Univolt, just cut it off mostly, and charge
the battery while on your outtings, or just every other week once a day when
not on your trips.

Your vehicle is an excellent way to charge the battery. Most connectors have
a pin already positioned for that. Your vehicles alternator system is very
smart, even smarter than the intellivolts. It will not overcharge the
battery. Those lucky folks with 3-way fridges can run the fridge on 12v
instead of the propane the entire time of travel if charging while towing.

All batteries get old, gel, expensive, or cheap. All lead acid batteries
will lose their water in time and go bone dry just sitting on a shelf. Just
check the water twice a year and add on distilled water and only when fully
charged. Just make each cell "fish eye" after fully charged.

The old univolts do "cut back", worked well, and if you just allow yourself
to "mother" the old uinvolt it will sever you well with it's limitations and
avoid the expense of Intellivolt and high-end batteries.

A lot depends on your useage. A "lifer" may justify the expense. A "go if I
can when I can" person like me may not need or justify the expense versus
"mothering".

Your charge with the tow vehicle is very good thinking. Take care and use a
30 amp fuse at the bumper connector for safety.

-Eddie-  (713)694-8084 24hrs or email, EddieHuffstetter@hotmail.com