Re: [VAL] venting the battery?

> An alternative to having to worry about venting your battery box is to use
> a AGM type battery.
>
> AGM batteries do not need venting and can be used inside a living space.
>
> I have also heard they can be stored on their sides and even survive
> freezing, altho I wouldnt recommend either....
>
> They are definately more expensive than standard lead-acid batteries. Make
> sure you but a Deep Cycle battery and not a starting battery.

Definitely the way to go in my opinon too.

And having the freedom to have the battery inside eliminates the loss in
capacity as the battery gets cold. There is nothing like losing heat because
a battery was cold and had it's capacity reduced.

The self-discharge rate of the AGM batteries is also lower.

And as was mentioned get a real deep-cycle battery. If it is a combo, or has
cold cranking amperes marked on it, it isn't what you want.

Rick Kunath
WBCCI #3060