RE: [VAL] Reese Dual Cam Question

Daisy,
Per Reese instructions.  Set the ball height on the adjustable drop bar to
the height specified by the trailer manufacturer (A/S is typically 18.5",
but they range +/-1" or so, so check your specific model).  Then you install
the bars into the hitch head and adjust the head angle (tilt) so that the
distance from the ground to the far end of the bars, when the bars are held
tightly upwards (by hand) at the end, measures 6.5".

The next step to determine a frame reference measurement for absolute level.
The easiest and most accurate way is to measure the distance to ground from
the bottom of the frame at the front and at the rear.  Make sure that you
are measuring the frame at the rear, not the slideout drawer frame (the
frame is actually even with the belly pan at the rear.  Once the distances
are the same, that measurement will be the reference for the next step and
by the way, the trailer should actually be level front to back at this
point.

To determine the proper number of links to drop, put the trailer onto the
ball and lock. Then adjust the tongue jack to return the front frame
distance to ground to the reference distance ascertained above.  This
ensures that the trailer is level and all the hitch weight is supported by
the trailer tongue jack.  The goal of determining the number of chain links
to drop is to distribute ONLY the hitch weight of the trailer.  The proper
number of chain links to drop is determined by finding the number of links
dropped that result in the trailer tongue jack JUST raising off the ground.
DON'T use the trailer jack to minimize the effort of pulling the chains up
during this process...leave the jack at the position of the reference
distance as describe above.  Once the trailer jack JUST lifts off the
ground, you have the proper settings AND the trailer and truck should be
level.  The result is you have transferred the trailer hitch weight properly
(60% to the truck axles, 30% to the trailer axles).

This approach is repeatable and results in the Reese being properly adjusted
so as to ensure that the Dual Cam is properly tensioned.  This process may
result in more or less links being dropped than what you are used to doing,
but it will result in a "proper" setup

david