Re: [VAL] Another question on theory of electrity

> The problem with an extension cord ....The voltage drop in 100 feet of
> extension cord will be so much it will drop the voltage to under 90
> volts, maybe less. ... if the motor
> draws 20% higher current, the heat in the wire is 44% more than
> expected. Some motors can handle that, some fry. In any case the
> insulation runs hotter than designed and so deteriorates more rapidly.

Now that makes sense. It's the hose thing. The bigger the hose (and the closer
the source to the receiver), the more stuff goes through reducing the strain on
whatever is getting stuff. So by using a bigger hose, and not pushing the stuff
so far, the receiving thing has an easier task of drawing adequate stuff to do
what it does. So, I will no longer run the AC unless I have a 30 amp circuit
(which is really needed because it provides a bigger hose) and the proper (really
big black, and short),  electrical line. Hence the basic principle of "if it doesn't
smoke" applies because, although the smoke is not visible, the unit is indeed being
cooked.

Thanks, bill b.