[VAL] Difference in quality over the years

Hello,

I am new to the list, as the naivety my question might suggest.  I am
searching the list archives but finding it very difficult to find any
discussions about the changes in quality of airstream construction and
workmanship over the last 50 years.  I hope to import (to the UK) a
mid sized (max. 22ft) trailer and would be interested in list members
opinions on which model might reflect the best quality of workmanship.
 I am quite keen on the 1960s Safari.

On balance, I would also like a model that is going to be practical to
refurbish, maintain and for two adults and a small child to spend
considerable time in.

On a related note, what year did Airstream widths exceed 7'6" as I'm
sure you know, an 8ft wide model would be too big for most UK tow
vehicles under 3.5 tonnes.

Many thanks
Joss
London, UK.