[VAL] Suburban as tow vehicle

> We use a 1999 Suburban as our tow vehicle.  It is the LT1500.  We are
> wanting to replace it with a newer one and I was wondering if anyone
> has a suggestion about what engine size we should get.  The 2500
> comes with either a 6 or 8 liter engine.  The one we have seems to
> not have quite as much power as we would like to pull our 26'
> Overlander in the mountains.  Does anyone else use a Suburban that
> they are happy with in pulling a larger trailer?

Karen, the newer Suburban's offer more power and better brakes. I too have A
26' Overlander, live in the Denver area and tow with the mid-sized Mercury
Mountaineer which tows fine and is more agile for everyday use. I researched
these vehicles very carefully, looking at stopping distances, acceleration,
turning radius, fuel economy, reliability, operating costs, etc. The '06
Mountaineer, and identical Ford Explorer, have a 300 hp V8 and 6-speed auto
transmission making it an ideal tow vehicle for your sized Airstream. I believe
the Mountaineer/Explorer have better brakes than the Chevy's, having owned 5 of
them including 3 Suburbans. But either Suburban or M/E will do the job.
Randy Unter
VAC Region 11 Representative