[VAL] Re: PEX retrofit

If you're doing a complete retrofit, the cost of the
tool may be justified.  It's about $100, but you can
save a couple of bucks per fitting.  I borrowed a tool
and got the best of both worlds.  Get the
short-handled tool.

You can keep a few repair parts on-hand that don't
require the tool.  There is the compression-style (you
turn the nut to compress a ring around the tube) and
the push-on style (like pneumatic quick fittings with
barbs and an O-ring seal).  Both can be taken off
again.  I like the push-on style because they're super
quick.

I recommend the straight sections of pipe just so you
don't have waves in the final installation.  Waves
will make the pipes harder to drain out for
winterizing.

I strongly concur with what's been said about
color-coding and buying from a plumbing supply house.

I redid all my supply lines.  My only leaks were on
the metal fittings that interfaced wtih the the old
copper supply lines going into the faucets.

While you're in there, consider whether it would be
beneficial to add an extra drain for your supply
lines.  My '68 Overlander had three drains, but really
needed four to get everything.

Jon in SC