Re: [VAL] oceanfront camping in Oregon

Scott,

Been awhile since we bumped into each other in Topeka last summer.

Now your talking my backyard. The boss being a school teacher we have
spent several spring breaks exploring the Oregon coast. We started up
above Astoria at Fort Stevens State Park. This year we went back and got
as far South as Cape Blanco below Coos Bay.

The Oregon State Park system has a great website at
http://www.oregon.gov/OPRD/PARKS/index.shtml The site has a great
locator system with all the parks, information about each, campground
layouts, reservations, site availability, campground brochures, maps and
links to nearby features.

Gorps Guide site at http://gorp.away.com/gorp/location/or/or.htm has a
ton more stuff as well.

Our stops over the years have included Fort Stevens, big place, near
Fort Clatsop and all that Lewis & Clark stuff. Astoria by it's self is a
hoot. The oldest white settlement West of the Mississippi it was found
about 5 years after Lewis & Clark went home.  Once there you got to
climb the tower and launch a little toy glider. Ya gotta go there to
make sense of that.
http://www.paulnoll.com/Oregon/Vacations/Astoria-tower.html

Plan on taking the Pacific Coast Highway. It's a left over from the more
leisure travel days, nothing over 55, stops in every town, lots of
scenic pull offs. All very touristy and fun.

If your travel window isn't that large you can run straight West on
22/18 to Lincoln City, turn South on 101, go down as far as, say
Florence in a day or two and then back East on 126 to civilization and
the Interstate. The drive across it's self is quite an exploration of
the Coastal Range environment. At least 3 different climate zones to see.

A number of state parks along the route. Beverly Beach SP above Newport
is not actually on the beach. South Beach SP below Newport is on the
beach. Beachside SP below Waldport is REALLY on the beach. If you try to
go to Beachside the best sites are 63-80 the half on the West or beach
side. We're talking crashing surf and just a little ocean spray on the
trailer.

The vacation options and terrain change constantly as you go down 101.
The Seal Lion Caves above Florence are kinda weird but fun. The Oregon
Dunes National Recreation Area starts just below Florence. Dune buggies
and all that stuff. And of course lots of light houses to see and
explore. Almost a can't go wrong kinda place.

Enjoy what ya can, I'll tell ya what ya missed
Charlie
5631