Re: [VAL] West Bound I-84 to Salem, Portland I-5

As a 40+ year veteran of the Seattle to Salem jaunt to Gramma's house, I can
vouch for the inappropriate choice of I-5 through Portland for tourists with
trailers.  Portland is a city bisected by big rivers cutting through big
hills and deep canyons.  This stretch of I-5 was one of the first completed
and is also one of the most often reconstructed due to heavy use.  The lanes
are narrow, rough and there are many stretches with minimal or no shoulders.
The on an off ramps are frequent with short acceleration lanes and often
occur on curves through the hilly terrain.  Portland is a beautiful, vital
and friendly city with incredible vistas of mountains and water...The
collection of engineering marvels (bridges) which connect her neighborhoods
to the center and the suburbs are truly awesome and best appreciated without
the whiteknuckle experience of pulling our precious Airstreams though city
traffic with big trucks.  Portland is a short drive from Salem, about 50
miles, and well worth the day trip (or longer) without the trailer.

Judy White
72-27 Int'l Ambassador
Fall City - East of Seattle