Re: [VAL] Toilet seal, Thetford

Hey Bill:

In early 2000 I ordered some seals and stuff from Thetford in Dexter,
Michigan.  The phone number on the packing slip is 734.769.6000.  800 Baker
Road, Dexter, Michigan  48130

The reason I ordered what I did is that I made the BIG mistake of taking the
toilet apart in place, ie, I left the bottom outer part connected to the
toilet flange at the floor and took it apart at the upper joint near the
seat.  I did that to avoid messing up the seal at the toilet flange.  BIG
MISTAKE!..When I finally pried that joint apart (it was stuck by sealant
pretty good) and pulled the inner bowl out, it launched all the springs and
other small parts directly into the holding tank faster than I could say "Oh
shoot" (that's not exactly what I said).  Of course then I had to take the
rest of the toilet off at the floor flange and go fishing for the parts
(double yechhhh).  Fortunately, the parts stayed pretty much where I could
get at them.  I won't describe exactly why that was.....

What I was trying to do was replace the water inlet valve in the back of the
toilet.  It had frozen and popped apart as I'm sure many have. So anyway,
Thetford had all the parts and seals that I needed and were very good to
deal with.  I can send you an exploded (!) view of the toilet if you want.
Lemme know.  Aqua-Magic IV foot pedal?

GQ '67 Safari in NorCA

PS:  Later I decided to disconnect the water supply from the toilet
completely and go to a hand spray that is hung next to the toilet.  Best
thing I ever did.  Uses very little water and is very effective.