Re: [VAL] Re: Caravel Fresh Water Tank

>         The original fresh water fiberglass tank is OK in the '66
> Caravel, but what are all the openings for?  The large one at top is the
> filler neck, and presume the large threaded one at the bottom is for
> tubing going to the pump. There are two more at opposite corners on the
> same end. Is one for a drain, and the other for a vent? Or should I run
> clear tubing from one to the other for a water level "gauge"?
>         The fresh water line system was so "cobbled up" with copper,
> rubber hose, vinyl tubing that I am replacing it all, but am only at the
> tank and pump area now. Any help will be appreciated.

Hey R:

It's possible that the 66 water system is completely different than the 67,
but I'd be surprised if it was.

In 67 the water tank is a 30 gallon polyethylene tank about a foot square by
about four feet long +/-.  Between the tank and the pump there should be a
tee that provides the drain (with a valve) out the bottom of the trailer via
a tygon tube.

My tank also has those small taps.  They were for a level gauge that I never
had.  Some models had a water level gauge in a control panel over the
fridge.  Mine didn't have that.  Yours probably didn't either.  I keep mine
capped.  My fill cap isn't gasketed and provides a vent to draw down the
tank.  Also, if the 66 is indeed like the 67, there is a way to fill the
tank when connected to city water at the back of the trailer by closing and
opening a couple of valves near the pump.  I have a diagram of a 67 Caravel
water system I can send you if you like.  Lemme know.  Maybe someone has a
manual for a 66 that would send you one too.

GQ '67 Safari in NorCA

PS:  Hey Gerald, I thought your Caravel was a 68!