Re: [VAL] Scaling back our plans

Warren,

I think you're making a wise choice, which will become even more evident
with experience.  The best thing to do with an old Airstream is do
whatever it takes to make it roadworthy and then take it on the road!
When we first took our 1960 Pacer on the road in 2003 the plumbing was
completely inoperative and numerous other systems didn't work.  We had a
blast anyway, and made a bunch of new friends in the Vintage Airstream
community.   Our trailer has alternated between being our "project" and
our "home away from home" ever since.

Restoring a Vintage Airstream is a lifetime project anyway--there's
always something that needs to be done--so you might as well be enjoying
your trailer while you're restoring it.

The other thing you'll find is that your ideas about what you want to do
will evolve with experience.  Remember that Wally Byam lived about six
months out of the year in his Airstream. There are a lot of little
details in Airstreams that are they way they are for very good reasons.
  We have found more than one thing that we expected to remove that we
left in place when we discovered how handy it was.

Good luck with your project, and welcome to the Vintage Airstream community!

See you down the road,

John & Barb Sellers
WBCCI/VAC #1587
1960 Pacer