[VAL] front gaucho conversion to futon

Wendy...(sorry to be so late replying!)

We redid the gaucho in our 1972 27' Ambassador with new foam, etc. 5 years
ago and have not been happy with the uncomfortable results.  Last summer we
purchased a higher end futon and cover (about $500).  The length is about 2"
longer than the original and width is full size bed rather than the 3/4 size
gaucho.  To accomodate and support the futon, we split a sheet of 3/4"
plywood lengthwise and added a pianowire hinge.  The length was cut to fit
on top of the existing gaucho pullout bedframe.  We also removed the under
window shelf that was behind the old gaucho and supported the gaucho back.
To support the plywood in the upright position, we cut a piece of plywood
from the shelf pattern and using another piece of pianowire hinge, attached
it to the back of the upright piece of plywood, hinge on top.  When the
plywood is up, the weight of the "shelf" causes it to fold out and support
the back without hitting the curtains.  When pulling the bed out for night
use, the hinge allows the shelf to fold up toward the top edge of the back
into a flat position so it doesn't interfere with the plywood laying flat on
the bedframe.  The plywood and futon are wider than the original gaucho, so
when making the bed, we pull the gaucho bedframe out as before, and lift the
front edge of the plywood over the lip of aluminum extrusion at the front
edge of the gaucho bed frame (with the two standard drawer handles screwed
to the plywood).  The plywood extends several inches over the edge of the
old frame.  Voila!  Wonderfully comfortable bed, full size and unobstructed
by the old gaucho underwindow shelf.  To make the bed in the morning, we've
attached two nylon straps to the far edge of the plywood...With a pull on
the straps and a push with our knees, the futon is easily returned to the
original couch/gaucho position.  The futon sometimes wiggles down a little
during travel, but is easily pushed back into place...Some velcro might
help, but we haven't found it necessary.  Because the futon is wider than
the original, it does partially obstruct the front trailer window, but it
also provides a comfy head rest!  For us it's an all around win-win...

Judy White
72-27 Int'l Ambassador
near Seattle