RE: [VAL] "Fancy" Hitches...

Dave,

It really depends on the size and weight of your trailer. About the
only people I see using the Hensley are those with the really big
trailers, 26 feet or more. Personally, I don't think the Hensley is
needed on anything under 28 feet. As for criticism of the Hensley: 1)
very pricey 2) it will add about 200 lbs. of weight 3) at certain
angles, depending on the terrain where you park your trailer it can be
a challenge to get the Hensley unhitched and hitched. Hensley fanatics
are adamant that hitching is never a problem, but I've seen otherwise,
even with seasoned trailerists.

The Equalizer hitch is excellent, but as a brand name it too is a bit
pricey, but it is simple to hook up and does a very good job. What I
like about it is its simple, straight forward design.

The Reese is sort of an industry standard. I don't have the dual-arm
hook-up and can't comment on it. The thing is the Reese and other
brand names (except brands such as Hensley, Blue Ox, etc.) are mostly
manufactured by the same company, so if you settle on one particular
Reese design you might be able to find the same design under a
different and less expensive name brand. The quality will be about the
same if it is made by the same manufacturing company. A reputable shop
will be able to advise you on this and you can save some money.

Forrest McClure