Re: [VAL] Propane fireplace

Thanks for the feedback on my posting about the
propane fireplace.  Peter Ryner commented that the fan
is just as energy-consuming as that of a forced air
furnace.  Actually, you can operate the fireplace with
or without the fan on.  The fan is controlled by a
manual switch on the heater.  Frozen pipes might
indeed be more of a problem with these units than
forced air furnaces in very cold climates, however.
Winters in western Oregon are fairly mild, so I don't
anticipate much of a problem here.  However, if your
forced air furnace works, I see no reason not to keep
it for deep freeze situations.  In other words, you
could have both systems.

I checked out the Dickinson Marine website that Rik
and Susan gave and was very surprised that they are
now listed for over $700 U.S.  I saw them in a couple
of marine shops in Victoria B.C. about a month ago for
about $600 Canadian.

In any case, I'm hoping to get the time to install the
fireplace this spring.  I'll post photos when it is
all done.

Tom Dolan
'73 Land Yacht