Re: [VAL] Receiving signals inside Airstream

> http://www.smoothtalker.com/products/power_supplies_boosters.php
>
> The Smooth Talker cell booster is supposed to be a powerful signal
> booster for cell phones, so could be used in your Airstream or tow vehicle.

I'll jump in here from my perch on the sidelines and make a few comments
as a professional in this industry.

Be careful about installing some of these BDA devices. A BDA is a
bi-directional amplifier. Some of these devices are called "repeaters".
This these listed devices aren't. A real repeater is a very different
device from these BDA-type consumer devices. A repeater is large, even
for in-building service, costs a small fortune, and must be licensed and
installed by a professional.

Do these BDA devices work, yes the good ones do. Can the average
consumer install one of these and get it working, maybe. Will they know
for sure that it's working correctly, installed correctly, and not
interfering in an illegal manner with public safety radio users in the
same frequency-range as the cell tower, I don't think so, but there is a
chance. Is the consumer liable for fines and forfeitures over their
improper installation, yes they are.

The wired models on the above link are *much* better than the wireless
BDA devices for consumer installation because they isolate the input and
output antennas better. The output antenna of any of these devices needs
to be outside the vehicle and not near the input antenna to prevent
oscillation and actual signal degradation and interference generation.
(I've had to forcibly shut down and confiscate many of these consumer
devices in my work in the public-safety radio industry.) If installed
right, they can perform their intended job. But he average user does not
have the high 5-figure test equipment to know for sure. (You can have
these installed professionally quite cheaply though.)

The simplest, best, and most effective (as well as cost-effective) way
to get reliable service in any aluminum-bodied vehicle is to get the RF
(radio-frequency) signal out of the metal body of the vehicle. To do
this you need an external antenna. You need this with a BDA too. If
you've got the external antenna, just make sure that your cell phone of
choice will allow you to connect to the external antenna, and you're all
set.

Either way, you've got to get an antenna outside the trailer. Once you
have that, you don't need the BDA. If you're in a really remote area,
get yourself a high-gain Yagi antenna and rotate it for best signal. In
most areas you don't need this added complexity. If you're doing data
and need extreme coverage, get a real dedicated high-power data modem
and install that in the trailer. VOIP voice service works well in this
application.

For most users, all that's needed is the external antenna. It's amazing
what a difference an external onmidirectional gain antenna will do for
cell coverage. There's lots here on the list who can attest to how well
this works.

If anyone wants to ask specific questions or needs other advice, feel
free to write me off-list.

Rick Kunath
WBCCI #3060