Re: [VAL] Cruisette

Tom,

Wow!  A 1952 Cruisette!  You have a real neat vintage trailer there.
When it's restored it will turn heads everywhere you go.

Since you found this list you have probably explored the Internet
resources, but just to hit the high spots, there's a lot of good
information at the Vintage Airstream Club web site,
http://www.airstream.net/index.html and R J Dial's vintage Airstream
resource, http://www.vintageairstream.com/  Also there's a lot of
information on Tom Patterson's web site, www.tompatterson.com   (Tom, of
course, also hosts this list.)

I can't tell you much about doing a "shell off" restoration since I
haven't done one, although there are many on this list who have.  In
general, an Airstream is built as a sandwich with the frame on the
bottom, the plywood floor in the middle, and the shell on top.  The
belly pan is attached to the shell with rivets.  The shell is attached
to the frame with "elevator bolts", like a carriage bolt but with a flat
head.   After the inside cabinets, etc. have been removed the, lower
inner skin panels have to be removed to gain access to the bolts.  (All
the inner skin panels are often removed at that time to get access to
the wiring, fix leaks, etc.)

The above is true of later vintage Airstreams with perimeter frames.
Your Cruisette is old enough that it may have the earlier "pipe" or
spine-and-rib frame, in which case the construction may be somewhat
different.

And yes, I believe your Cruisette is the smallest Airstream produced in
quantity.  A custom thirteen footer, Der Kleine Prinz, just surfaced,
but it is the rarest of the rare.

In any case, welcome to the Vintage Airstream community.  If you haven't
already done so, I hope that you will consider joining the Vintage
Airstream Club.  It's a great bunch of folks and I know you'll be
greeted with open arms at VAC activities.  VAC rallies also give you a
chance to see first hand how other people have solved their restoration
problems, and get plenty of advice (often conflicting!) from other
vintage owners.

Good luck with your Cruisette!

Best regards,
John & Barb Sellers