Re: [VAL] Axle dimensions

Here's what I got on my 1971 Caravel. I think all the 70's trailers are
very close to this, but you must must must measure your own inside frame
dimensions. I have seen them vary +/- 3/8" and I guarantee you that if
you get an axle with brackets that are 1/8" too wide, you will be
inventing a machine to spread the frame. Very bad. On the other hand, if
the brackets are a little narrower than the frame, the bolts will pull
the frame and if the gap is too big, you can put in a shim (washers or a
couple of thin plates).

That being said, here's the data:

Inside frame -- 61-3/8" (this is the critical measurement!!!!)
Outside brake plate flange -- 72-3/8" (fabricators don't seem to care
about this)
Drum face to drum face -- 80-3/8" (commonly called hub to hub)

Note: I believe this axle is for zero offset wheels. For some wheels
(usually pickup truck wheels) the offset is positive 1.5" per wheel, so
the hub to hub winds up being 77-3/8" BUT THIS ONLY WORKS ON THE OLDER
TRAILERS WITH A NARROWER FRAME MEASUREMENT. I've even seen hub to hub
measurements of 74-1/4", which looks like maybe there are negative
offset wheels, but I really have no clue how that axle supports wheels
inside a standard shell, unless the wheels are negative offset.

I'm going to reduce my hub to hub length by 3/4" (that's 3/8" on each
side) in order to get my 7" rims more easily into the wheel well. Even
though there is plenty of room on the inboard side of the wheel to
reduce it further, you really can't, due to the location of the
horizontal shock mount stud. Yes, I know some folks don't believe you
need a shock.

I'm ordering my axle from Axis on Monday and when it arrives I'll post
the outcome, eg, did I know what the heck I was doing in the first place.

Roger