Re: [VAL] list slowdown/boondocking

I boondock all over the west and as long as you arrive before dark, you
will have no problem finding a parking/camping spot. The only exception
is in areas that are mostly up and down rather than somewhat
horizontal--it just takes a little longer. I have to say that most of my
experience is in BLM land. I use a digital mapping system called
Oziexplorer and use some maps that I have scanned myself, paper BLM maps
that show who owns the land, eg, BLM, Indian, forest service, military,
state, private, park service, etc. So I almost always know if I can park
there without some hot rancher waking me up at O-dark-thirty.

I'd be happy to provide the maps if you have an application that can
display generic raster maps (DRGs from USGS, etc.) Another company that
does this is Fugawi. Or you can get the paper maps for about $10 each
for each state in the west. Some states, those that have little BLM
land, don't have these maps.

I also have all the USGS maps for the western states calibrated for
Oziexplorer. I'm happy to provide them for the cost of duplicating
(nominally $5 per DVD, since I do these individually) the DVDs and the
$4 mail cost. You can get these maps for free from the web, but it takes
hours to import them and organize the directories (the top level
maps--highway maps, 1:250K and 1:100K USGS topos--take 7 gig on DVD,
which is about 1000 maps for 11 western states). If you get down to the
Quads (7.5 minute topo maps), it's about 30,000 more files.

Roger
Palmer Lake, CO