Re: [VAL] this is only a test...

> i'd like to know what the fellow VAC'ers think of the new Winick 75th
> Anniv Special Edition that graced the 4th cover of the latest Blue
> Beret. It's certainly retro...sorry...vintage in appearance and a
> welcome departure from some of the plastic looking and feeling interiors
> coming out of the factory lately.

Overall, I think Winick did a nice job within the obvious design
limitations Airstream imposed on him. I definitely like the warm wood
interior and the way he didn't waste lots of space like the shiny
interior International CCD models do. I just don't care for the shiny
metal interiors.

What was a complete disappointment to me, and is in the current Safari,
Safari SE, and International model shorter trailers too (and isn't
Winick's fault), is the rear corner bathroom/shower. I just can't get
over the door failing to open with its corner angled design. I've been
in several of these models and I just don't like it. I like the 16-foot
Bambi design better, as far as the rear of the trailer goes. Having the
bed across the back and being able to see out the wrap-around windows is
lots better than the corner bed. I'd rather see the bathroom out front
as in the short model and could tolerate a wet bath for a better bed. I
can't help but see the corner bathroom as a design mistake.

I don't know if the Winick trailer will be available with a front couch,
but I prefer this over a dinette. Hopefully buyers will still have a
choice. And speaking of couches, I don't at all care for the L-couches
or the straight-backed flat foam filled side couches on some models.
They just aren't comfortable. Give me a real sleeper couch, with proper
oriented cushions.

The other thing I see is that Airstream is going really small in water,
black water, and gray water tank capacities lately. I really can't see a
small combo gray/black tank, and 20 Gallons of clean water is pretty
small. I'd like to see at least 10 gallons more of all three (30 gals.
in each of the three tanks).

The other thing I don't care for is the rubber bedded Safari windows
that only open a really little bit on the bottom. I want a fully opening
non-rubber bedded window. Though unless I am mistaken, this may be
available on the Safari SE models?

> I have to
> say that after walking through all of them - Safari, CCD, etc. - I ran
> back to my '78 and and gave her a great big hug. For the first time in
> my 44 years I felt like saying 'they just don't make 'em like the used
> to'. perhaps the sterile feeling that overcame me was because they were
> just not lived in.

I am curious about what you thought about the current floorplans in the
less than 25-foot trailers? Like you, I think they just don't make them
like they used to, and there isn't any reason why not. A good design is
timeless. Why can't todays designers get the floorplans right on the
smaller trailers?

I am wanting to purchase another new trailer from Airstream, but I won't
be buying any of the current shorter floorplan models (and that's the
size I need these days). I just don't care for the floorplans at all.

Time to step off the soapbox :)

Rick Kunath
WBCCI #3060
Michigan