Re: [VAL] Test and Flooring question

Hi Fellow List Members,

I have never posted to the list but very much enjoy reading the issues
and suggestions.   I also browse  Airstreamforums.com from time to
time.

Allow me to introduce myself.....
For the last 7 years I have owned and enjoyed a 1972 Tradewind.   My
floor plan is rear bath and the center bedroom area has a gaucho with
overhead storage on the curbside. The other side is a closet, drawer
stack under the window and matching overhead storage.   I don't venture
far - just from central Connecticut down to the shore where I camp with
my  four kids (ages 6 -16)  in the summer - supplemented with LL Bean
tents.  (My husband ventures down sometimes)  We camp at Hammonasset
next to, or very close to, my mother's site - where she camps with her
1969 Globetrotter.   Needless to say, we turn a lot of heads!

Everything in the trailer is original (almost) and functioning - even
the fridge! (The only issue there is the flint for lighting it.
Instead of lighting from the inside - we use a propane match stick on
the burner through the outside access door. ) All the curtains are
present, in tact and clean.  As are all of the original plastic bins
under the rear and front gauchos,  behind all the upper tambour doors,
and under the sink.  Believe it or not - still use the pretty blue and
white stripe Carefree awning with matching skirt to cover the tires on
the curbside. (According to purchase stamp on the original literature -
purchased in 1973 - must have added on after purchase of trailer) There
were screen walls to go with it, but alas the mice did a job on them
while the trailer was stored prior to my purchase.   The original
stereo sits in the compartment behind the "command center" above the
front window.  We also use the stove, oven and running water.  Have
tested but never actively used the hot water, furnace or AC.  Since
there are no hookups at Hammonasset - I run off a battery rigged with a
marine solar panel.  I do have dreams of going on a road trip and
taking advantage of all the systems  someday - maybe when the kids are
older.  One extra I added from e-bay - a pair of the folding dining
chairs sold by Airstream in the 60's that have been mentioned on this
list.

The reason I say that the trailer is almost original, two minor
modifications have been made.  1.  Recovered the front gaucho cushions
with a bark cloth-type of tropical print - you know - palm leaves and
flower.   2. Rigged up a computer fan to run off the battery and cool
the tubing behind the fridge.  Makes it more efficient in 90+ degree
weather.  (That suggestion I got from and Airstreamforums thread)
Now looking to make another change  - the original carpeting.  Not
"fortunate" enough to have shag - just a sculpted beige monster.  I
have pulled up a corner by the front table -seems like take out will be
easy enough.  Any suggestions on flooring to put down?  I was thinking
adhesive-backed cork or bamboo flooring.  Another thought - linoleum
tiles to keep the more vintage look going.    Any installation
experiences - love to the learn the do's and don'ts from those that
have been there.

Michelle K.
1972 Airstream Tradewind in Connecticut