[VAL] Heater

Hello again:  We had a nice day here in Utah, 50 degrees, and I was able to
take the heater out and clean the pilot light orafice (spider web) and replace
the thermocouple.  Got it all back in and pilot light lite right away, good
size, right where it should be on the thermocouple.  Closed the door and turned
up the heater.  Fan came on then a loud pop with bad exhaust type smell.  I
turned the heater to off. Pilot light had blown out in the mini explosion.
Tried it again, same thing happens.  3rd time I went outside and watched the
exhaust vent, same thing with louder pop from the outside.  This time the furnace
stayed on and heat began to come out as if all were normal. Not to be.  After
running for about 5-10 minutes, another loud pop.  I shut it down and turned
off the gas.  Possibly an exhaust air flow problem? Sounds like something is not
getting completly burnt up and so there is an internal combustion happening.
What do you think?

Thanks again....anyone

Tom Fairbank
1969 Tradewind, Suburban original heater.