[VAL] RE: Refinishing the tongue

Michael,

I just did the front frame on my 69 TW this summer and I had good luck using
a hand grinder with the sanding pad attachment, a Dremel with the sanding
attachments and of course elbow grease and some hand sanding.  This not only
got rid of the rust but it also helped to smooth out some of the pitting caused
by the rusting.  I then used  Loctite Extend. Rust Converter (Neutralizer) it
interacts with existing rust and chemically converts it to a neutral black
surface, which also serves as a primer to reduce future oxidation. I then
applied  Rust-Oleums High Performance Rust Preventive Primer followed by the
finish coat using Rustoleum Silver Hammer Finish Spray Paint which provides a
unique hammered finish that hides flaws and imperfections such as scratches and
any remaining pitted metal.  I also used the black hammer finish on the four
wheels I refinished before adding new tires. I think it will make the moon
hubcaps really stand out.

It has only been about six months but the frame has been exposed to the
weather and I see no signs of deterioration it still looks as good as new.
All these paints were purchased at local stores and were spray cans.  They
work great if you have patience and don't try to paint everything in one
coat. As an alternative the tongues and frames on the new models are being
painted black.  You might consider the black hammer finish as a different
look.

Whatever you decide, good luck and I hope you enjoy the work as much as I
have so far.

Tom W.