Re: [VAL] Last Year zolatone paint interior

> Not sure when they stopped, but my '68 Ambassador was painted, no vinyl.
> Pete

Pete,
Are you sure it is painted with "Zolatone" and not a previous owners attempt
at changing the interior color. The endcaps are normally painted or
gelcoated and also have a monochromatic look. Zolatone is a multicolored
paint that has a very distinct "spackle" look to it. It was originally
developed for Airstream in 1952 and used on all of the Airstream's we have
worked on in my shop through 1965 model year. Every Airstream we have worked
on after the 65 model year has had "vinyl" coated aluminum interior panels.
We have applied custom blended Zolatone colors for an assortment of clients
with vintage Airstream's. There are two main types of Zolatone. The first
being used primarily in the architectural world which is a latex based paint
in a latex carrier. This variation is not as hard wearing as that used in
Airstream's. Information about this variation can be seen at
www.zolatone.com . The type used in Airstream's is a solvent based paint in
a latex carrier. It is much harder wearing and is often found in good
condition in 45 year old trailers. Information about this variation can be
found at www.zolatoneaim.com . This is a different division of the company
and stands for Zolatone, Automotive, Industrial & Marine. It is often used
on the interior of boats along with some automotive applications. This type
of paint has a very unconventional look to it when you open the can. It
looks more like salad dressing than regular paint. It should only be stirred
gently and never mixed or shaken like most other paints. Freezing is also
out of the question.
Colin Hyde
GSM Vehicles Inc.
www.theVAP.com