[VAL] Re: Outside Water Hookup and Original Water Pump

Ellen, since our trailers are basically the same (1960 26 foot Overlanders)
but made in different factories, I will chime in.

The city water connection for mine was at the front fill for the tank.
Apparently yours is in the rear.

The air compressors often go bad and are expensive to replace unless you can
find someone to rebuild yours or find one at a trailer flea market. If you
do get one working make sure that there is a one way valve installed between
the pump and the water so it does not go bad again! The air compressor runs
on 12V and before you assume the pump is bad be sure your electrical
connection is good. Mine had a wall mounted switch just to the right of the
front window to operate the pump.

You can switch over to a modern demand pump easily. No modifications
necessary other than location (needs to be downstream from the tank, not
upstream). Be sure to pull the old galvanized fresh tank and check its
condition. After 40 + years they tend to get pinhole sized holes all across
the bottom, slowly and silently seeping onto the floor. If the tank is still
in good shape you may wish to fashion a pan for it to sit in to protect your
floor. Replacement galvanized tanks are available, but pricey. I could not
find one the same diameter so I opted to have a plastic one custom made
along with a new demand pump about 3 years ago.

I know that you want to keep the hot water heater as well. They also develop
pin hole leaks on the bottom. Be sure to check the floor around it for signs
of seepage. If your tiles are anything less than pristine around the H2O
heater then chances are you have a bad tank. If so, save the old access door
and somehow use it in the new installation. While not perfect, it will
retain the original look of the trailer.

Most replacement refrigerators can be lit from the inside. Check for
instructions/controls near or on the bottom of the door, inside or out. Most
also run on AC power.

By the way, the model of your trailer is not Land Yacht, it is Overlander
(or perhaps Custom). Land Yacht seems to be a trim level.

Scott Scheuermann
1960 Overlander