[VAL] Re: Insurance

Ed,

Interesting post about State Farm insuring vintage trailers for actual
value.  We initially insured our 1960 Pacer with State Farm.  (Like you,
I have had their car insurance for a long time--since I started
driving.)  They only charged about $25 a year to insure the Pacer, but I
doubt we were covered for anything like actual value.

I went to my agent to ask about Declared Value or Agreed Value
coverage.  He didn't know--had to call the underwriters and get back
with me.  When he did, he said that State Farm didn't write that
coverage and he would regretfully have to send me somewhere else for it.

Based on advice from this list, I went to a Foremost agent and he said,
"sure".  It takes more than a phone call; he wanted recent pictures, a
description of restorations and expenses, and said that an appraiser
would have to see it.  Actually, after seeing the pictures and list of
restoration expenses, they didn't bother to send out an appraiser.  They
offered us $12,000 of coverage, which I figured was about right, and we
took it.

Best,
John & Barb Sellers
WBCCI/VAC #1587