[VAL] Heater Replacement

At risk of asking for advice already covered previously, I would like to
know if anyone has replaced the heater (not the water heater) in a '66
Caravel. Even trying to remove my old one has proven to be more of a task
than I am prepared for. With all screws removed, all gas tubes disconnected,
it still won't separate from the external vent. I took the bottom off of the
combustion tank and removed a solid half-inch of rust and leaves, and found
a 4"X4" square piece of loose sheet metal inside. It had no obvious weld
marks or screw holes, so I know not where it came from. I suspect it is a
baffle that prevents the internal flame from going directly out the vent
hole, but i'm not sure. As for replacement, the problem is the heater takes
up so little space - 16WX17.5HX8"deep, it's hard to imagine an "exact fit"
replacement even exists.

Tony in Sonora, CA
'66 Caravel