RE: [VAL] Example of Shipping/Purchase Scam, BE AWARE!

I have my T-Bucket listed for sale.  The first inquiry was someone who's
first statement was "I want to buy your car.  What condition is it in?"
From the pics on the listing it's very plain to see that it is ready for a
car show, or very nearly.  So, the next email was asking how much "he had to
pay".  ($35000)  The response goes like:  "My agent has directed me to buy
your car for your price.  He has a cashier's check for $40000 which he can
not return to the bank.  He has directed me to have you accept the check and
then wire me the difference.  After I have received the difference I will
have a shipper come drive the car to a shipping facility.  We will handle
the paperwork through the mail.  If this is satisfactory please send me your
address and I will ship out your check."

I had a two word reply:  BULL SHIT.

1)  Who the hell buys cars sight unseen? (excluding a Barrett-Jackson
auction, which is where I will be trailering it to if it doesn't sell by
Spring)

2)  Who pays asking price?

3)  What???  Bank won't accept their own check back?

4)  The bucket has a 6.75gal fuel cell and gets a little over 6.5mpg on 110
OCTANE at $7/gal.  Drive it???  Are you kidding me?  And that is without
having the FUN that it is intended for.  Add in some fun and the mileage
falls to between 3-5mpg depending on how "impressionable" one is trying to
be.

If it sounds bizarre, don't participate.  Greed is an evil thing and will
soon part a fool from their money.

Make the buyer put the check in your name.  Make the buyer give you ID to
prove who they are and that the address of the bank and the buyer's address
are in the same town/area.  Take the check (and the buyer) to a bank where
it is drawn from and verify the funds (AND cash it while you are there).  If
it is not drawn on a national bank, call the bank and verify the check.
Keep a record of all of the info.

Personal checks, Bank checks, and Money Orders can be forged easily on high
quality laser printers.  Checks are also stolen and the ink chemically
washed from the paper.

Steve Jones
S&M Cycles
Queen Creek, AZ  85242