[VAL] Battery/charger problems

We took our 72 Trade Wind on its first camping trip, for us, last
weekend.  It was a fun trip and we enjoyed every minute of it.

Have a question.  When we got back home, I was checking things out and
went to turn on the ceiling lights inside the coach.  Nothing.  Went to
the control panel and pressed the battery condition switch.  No
reading.  Went to the battery outside compartment and removed the new
battery.  Checked it with a meter and discovered it had less than a
volt remaining in it!  Put the battery on a charger independent of the
AS, and it took a charge and came right back up.  Does not drain back
down over time, stays up.

My questions is, how do I check the Univolt in the AS to see if it is
charging the battery?  Also, isnt the tow vehicle supposed to charge
the AS on-board battery when driving?  We had lights all weekend with
no sign of dropping battery voltage.  We were plugged into a 30 amp
circuit at the campgrounds all the while.

Dick & Rose Ann Harold
Noblesville, Indiana
WBCCI #8551