[VAL] Re: VAL Digest V3 #26

We began towing our '67 Caravel (3500lb?) with my beloved '90 Mazda MPV; not
a towing-equipped van, we added all the towing features we could, but the
transmission gave out after a trip across the Cascades and back.
Wanting something with enough towing power, but not a pick-up, we ended up
with a '96 Toyota Landcruiser.  It tows well, very comfortable to ride in.
But had to replace the engine block this spring at 100k miles!  The dealer
said towing a trailer of that weight should not have been an overload.  We
bought it used -- all the mechanicals checked out OK.  But I suspect it was
originally a lease vehicle.  I understand lessees don't bother with things
like oil changes (and sometimes are even stupid enough to purchase the very
vehicle they took no care of!).
    We'll be off next week cruising around the Idaho wine country.  Yes,
Virginia, there is such a thing.
Huff