[VAL] Wiring???

    I backed my "new to me" truck up to my trailer to move it out of Rita's
way only to discover the truck receptacle was wired with a round pin
connector instead of a flat.  Eh, no problem, after all I am an electrician.
   So off I trundle to the parts store and get the proper receptacle. Bring
it home, pull the offending one, and discover the PO has wired it all with
the same color wire. Eh, no problem, (see above). So I sort it all out, tag
the leads, and pull out my trusty A/S owners manual to see how it should be
pinned. Not being sure which side of the trailer plug is illustrated, I
check out the trailer pinning so as to get the proper orientation. Now it
starts to get fun, as neither one of my units (66's) are pinned according to
the diagram.
   The new receptacle came with pin numbring and a wiring function
assignment that in no way was the same as the assignments in the manual. So
I went here...
http://www.marksrv.com/wiring.htm
and the pinning is way different. If this is now a standard then I'm off to
repin my plugs.
    I still need to dig into the brakes.  The controller installed in my
truck has a four pointed star with the initials K and H, (Kelsey-Hayes?)
works off of brake line pressure and will present 12 volts to the electric
brake wire when the brakes are applied, but the brakes won't activate. I
have  a Kelsey-Hayes manual which also came with the trailer. It  shows a
different control unit but the wiring assignments seem to be the same.
    If I apply 12 volts from a battery directly to the trailer brake line
should I be able to hear the magnets clamping to the armature plates? Does
anyone know what the continuity measurment of a magnet should be?
  Thanks,
    DanG
    '66 Overlanders, '65 F250