Re: [VAL] removing silicone

>A previous owner has used gray and black silicone to seal around the exterior
> windows and doors. Does anyone know how to remove it?

Denise, at automotive paint supply stores, they have a stuff call 'grease, wax
& silicone remover".  It's used as a wipe-down before sanding, to prevent the
silicone from being driven into the surface you're about to paint (else the
paint won't stick).

Though not designed to remove silicone caulking (which should'na been on there
in the first place!), it does have magic stuff in it which makes silicone let
go without a trace...something you'd probably be wise to do before using
Vulkem anyway.

I think if you were to dribble it over the silicone where it meets the
aluminum, it might help make the removal a bit easier.  I'd use it anywhere I
was going to caulk anyway, if there may have been wax or silicone coatings on
the surfaces.

Please let us know how it works for seam caulk removal, if you try it.

Hope that helps,

Mark in Modesto
'62 TradeWind