RE: [VAL] the pipes and water heater

Ann,
I had the same experience when I lived in New York.  I blew out the pipes in
my '60 and it froze and broke a pipe going by the tub.  The same line broke
twice until I finally started using the antifreeze.  Seems is had a low
point that just couldn't be blown out.  I always put the pink stuff in the
lines after draining the system now.  Haven't had a problem since I started
doing it. Hardly seems likely that all of your pipes would break if it was
actually blown out though.

As far as the water heater, there are several replacements available.  It is
true that you can't find the original type installed in your trailer, but
Suburban makes a model that will fit.  There will be issues though.  First
it will have a different door so unless you keep the old door and have it
modified to fit the new model (which is a difficult task), it will change
the exterior appearance of the trailer.  Second it is not an exact fit and
will require a little adjustment of the exterior skin.  I only had to
enlarge the hole a little to make the heater fit on my '60.  On the '68 I
had to have a shroud made to cover part of the hole because the new heater
was narrower but taller than the old one.  I found a fabrication shop that
did an excellent job making the piece.  They had to use stainless to get the
compound angles right so it is not an exact match, but very close.  I also
had the white door power coated silver to match the trailer.  I don't
recommend doing the powder coat.  The process severely warped the door as it
is very thin metal.
Pete