[VAL] batteries and heaters

I can run my forced air furnace all night on my battery (20 degrees outside,
65-70 inside). The battery (1) is nothing special, not a yellow-top, not a
deep-cycle, just a 1950's style automotive battery, more commonly known now
as a tractor battery. The battery seems to last about 5 years so I can't be
hurting it that badly. But realize that I use almost no other power from the
battery. Lights are florescent and are on for less than a half hour at
night.

This is done only when overnighting at a Walmart and not on a regular basis.
When I'm stopped, its to sleep, so no TV or radio. The charge from the tow
vehicle while traveling (all day) is more than sufficient to top off the
battery again. No, I don't have a univolt, or that type device. Until a
couple of years ago I didn't even carry an automotive battery charger, but
the new furnace runs only off of 12V instead of 12 & 115 like my old one, so
I figured that for the days when I am parked with utilities I might need to
charge the thing!

Scott Scheuermann
1960 Overlander