[VAL] Plumbing Leak

From: Chris Koehn wrote: Subject: [VAL] vexing plumbing leak
First: my 76 AS, center bath does have a water line under the floor.  The
original water line came along the floor on the street side, through the
closet and then under the floor to the curb side.  I did have a leak there and
bypassed it with a flex line around the BR to the curb side.  Since you do not
have that problem, on to more exciting and time consuming leaks.  I had a leak
under the shower.  I cut an access hole in the belly pan, found the trap was
leaking (through ABS trap seam), cut out the trap, replaced it with a PVC trap
and rubber coupling (fernco).  On next trip, it still leaked.  I found the
fernco had a slight wrinkle , probably due to the tight area to put on the
screw clamp. I coated the fernco liberally with a caulk/adhesive (E600 from
Hobby Lobby for $3).  Next trip, it still leaked.  I discovered a crack in the
corner of the shower pan.  Fixed that, still leaked!  Finally, I discovered
the shower drain, the interior flange, had broken loose from the shower pan.
It flexed when using the shower allowing more drain water escape.  My
solution:  I have some aluminum tape with a thick adhesive backing, cut a 6"
square and super imposed over the shower drain.  It is pliable enough to
conform to the drain opening and still leave the square patch on the shower
pan floor. It sort of looks decorative in the shower floor.  The alum/adhesive
tape is Hardcastle APT 701.  I was given a piece by a place that repairs semi
trailer bodies.  I live in a small town and have not been successful in buying
a role, but I can mail you a 6" square piece, it the shower drain is the
problem.  I called the 800 number for the tape, referred to a distributor,
then referred to a heating/AC wholesale, no luck.  Apparently the heating/AC
folks are using the thinner tape and it is more commonly  used.  I live in a
small town and the parts stores were not interested in ordering this tape.  If
your plumbing/bath is like mine, the shower is to the rear of the fresh water
tank, but if you have to replace the trap the space to work in is limited.  I
am not sure if the shower pan was already broken or cracked around the drain
flange or if the rigidity of the new trap and fernco caused the problem, but
probably  the crack was already there and just made worse.  Ned Digh