Re: [VAL] On Road Computer/E-Maill

There is this perception that satellite Internet access is fast. It
isn't. At least not as compared to terrestrial wired connections.

With the higher speed options available from wireless carriers these
days, it is hard to justify the grief of a satellite feed.

There are dedicated high-speed modems (not hand-held cell phones or
PCMCIA "air" cards) available for the modulation protocols used by any
of the carriers. I've personally used Sierra Wireless and BlueTree
equipment on Cingular's and Verizon's network with excellent results (a
separate modem with the appropriate capability is needed for each of
these carriers as they use incompatible modulation methods), and the
gear is available for other carriers as well. It is a lot cheaper than
satellite equipment is, and uses the standard Internet digital access
plan pricing for a given carrier, plus the performance, receive
sensitivity, and transmit power output is superior to the other hardware
available. Remember that cell carriers use incompatible modulation
schemes and something that will work on one won't usually work on
another. It isn't like the old analog days when a phone was a phone.

One of the big drawbacks of satellite access is the latency. There is
such a time-delay because of the round-trip of the signal to space and
back that actual page loads really don't appear that much faster than
ordinary dial-up. One other thing to be aware of is the really strict
download and upload caps on satellite service. If you think that you
need the service because you can't get wireless terrestrial access,
that's one thing. But if you are considering it because you think you
need a faster feed and actually have use for the bandwidth, forget it.
If you actually use it, even a modest amount, you'll be throttled to
dial-up speed as punishment for a while. Additionally, you'll be
double-NAT-ed (Network Address Translation - a way to share an
insufficient number of real IP addresses) and won't have control of the
port-forwards at the satellite provider's terraport, so some things that
used to work with a traditional terrestrial Internet connection, won't,
and you'll have no way to get them working. (Most of the wireless
carriers now have this issue with their service too, but at least it's
low-latency and cheap. The older CDPD service didn't have this problem.)

It really isn't much of an alternative unless you are in an area where
there is no other way to get to the Internet.

I tested a whole lot of equipment from various providers here for use as
a backup to an Emergency Operations Center, and found all of it
problematic. What I am going to do to get the backup I need is beyond
what might be appropriate for discussion relative to on-the-road use of
the Internet, so I'll not elaborate.

There are a lot of pieces of advice floating around the Internet about
how to do this. Make sure that you get professional advice before you
spend your hard-earned cash. I have seen far too many inaccuracies and
misconceptions even in our own magazines lately.

You can get this going, just do your research, talk to professionals
(not someone at a cellphone store) and then have fun. It isn't that hard
when you have a plan.

Rick Kunath
WBCCI #3060