[VAL] nicks, scratches and dents

Hey Joel,

I say to you >>>  Cancel those thoughts about being ashamed.

Many of us have been on this list awhile and have traveled with other
list members around the continent. All of us have accumulated nicks and
scratches and dents - some of us more so than others.

The common denominator is in your last sentence..... "it works and it's
a great pull."

I'd predict 99% of us are into repairing our rigs to be mechanically
mint first before we start on the nicks and scratches and dents.

Am I wrong? Is there anyone on this list who has worked on the nicks,
scratches, dents (and polishing) first before doing the mechanical
repairs?

One other point. As you know some of us on the list have the skills and
the inclination to get DEEP into the refurbishing process because it's
an enjoyable hobby for us. My wife and I are emancipated parents with
plenty of that precious commodity called "time." So what do we do with
it?

In July 2003, we took our 1967 22' Safari to the International Rally in
Vermont. It had (and still has) over 200 nicks, scratches and dents
along the banana wrap. The main shell is about 90% blemish free. No
matter how much effort went into the banana wrap, those 200+ couldn't
be smoothed out. We even asked for and received help. Close, but no
cigar. They are a permanent fixture - or as one of our friends said:
"They provide character."

Anyway, the long and short of it was we entered our Airstream in the
Concours d'Elegance at the International Rally and walked away with two
ribbons, one for "Best of Show 1960s Decade" and one for "Shiniest
Airstream."

My point? Cancel all your thoughts starting with your words:  "I would
be ashamed for most people on the list to see my Overlander, with all
the nicks and scratches and dents it has accumulated through the years."

If our trailer can walk away with two ribbons, then your nicks,
scratches and dents are only a problem if they are a problem for you.
The rest of us have warts - plus the rest of us are usually the only
ones who know which mechanical features on our rigs are NOT in A-1
condition. <grin>

Bottom line, play with your toys and have a grand time. That's what the
rest of us are doing. And if you want to have even more fun, let's play
together whenever we happen to be in the same playground.

Terry