[VAL] Re short range broadcasting

Indeed there are other broadcast engineers on this list, and a number
who have Airstreams -- for a moment I thought that I was reading a
different list!

I am here to add to the advice you've already read from Gerald Johnson
and others. There is no legal, practical way to cover a rally area with
a temporary FM broadcast transmitter. The legal, unlicensed transmitters
cover about 100 feet at most. There have been FCC inquiries and
petitions over many years to establish an "event radio" service as
suggested here (and such a thing exists in Denmark, the UK and Canada)
but it hasn't happened here. There are a number of possible options
however, and this is from the perspective of someone who passed the FCC
First Class test at age 16 -- rather more than 30 years ago -- and has
been chief engineer and consultant for quite a few radio stations over
the years. I should say too that I've been retained several times by
groups trying to do just this sort of thing -- and have tried a number
of approaches to get an official OK to do something along these lines.
No luck yet.

The suggestions of "test" and "experimental" licenses have been brought
before the FCC many times. Each time the petition is denied, because the
justification for test, experimental or developmental operation is not
present.

The reality of dealing with the FCC today is that it's grossly
understaffed, and anything that takes licensing had better be quite
lucrative (like the spectrum auctions that helped bankrupt early
wireless internet efforts) or be nearly automatic, like GMRS and amateur
licensing.

A number of music festivals and racing events operate totally illegal
radio stations for short periods, under the concept that the FCC is
unlikely to enforce the rules for a violation that causes no actual
interference. As one FCC enforcement engineer told me many years ago,
"we know who they are, they aren't bothering anybody, and they'll be
gone on Monday." In some cases however (notably at racing events in
cities) these stations

In truly extraordinary circumstances (the Olympics in Los Angeles and
some Superbowls), the FCC has granted a one-time Special Temporary
Authority for existing licensed broadcasters to operate low-power
stations within a venue like a stadium. In each case this is built on
the consulting engineering of the local chapter of the Society of
Broadcast Engineers which does frequency coordination for all the
wireless microphones, video and two-way at such events too. And the
licensees need to be existing licensed broadcasters or networks.

If you are unwilling to sail under the pirate flag, however, there are
still some alternatives.

One is doing a deal with a local station, most of whom are on very tight
budgets and would be happy to work something out for a few days.

Another is to build a network of legal short-range stations linked
together by wire. The rules permit much greater range on the AM band
than on FM. You can operate transmitters intended for "carrier current"
operation, which couples a small amount of radio frequency energy into
the power lines. There is a company specializing in this equipment
called LPB (www.lpbinc.com). You can also string "leaky" cable around a
venue, and any radio within a few hundred feet of the cable can pick it
up. This does require some engineering to set up and qualify, but it can
be done.

Many local governments are licensed for "Travelers Information Stations"
that can cover several miles on AM. It's up to them what programming
they put on, within limits. If you can make a deal with the city where
your rally is, TIS might be an option.

Yet another possibility is to stream audio over a local Internet
connection using WiFi. It would require that everyone tune in with a
laptop computer -- practical over a range of at least a mile, legally.

Finally there is another alternative that I have been working on for a
couple of years, and if anyone wants to try this in any of the west
coast states, my company holds blanket licenses that would permit it.
(For the engineers on the list, these are Part 22 allocations licensed
on a geographically exclusive basis, up to 600 watts ERP at any number
of fixed locations without further FCC filing). There are former paging
frequencies that the FCC has licensed for a wide range of common-carrier
activities. Our test transmitters (one of which rides in my 1971
Tradewind) cover more than 50 miles on 35 or 43 MHz. The only catch is
that you need a special radio to pick up these transmissions. Most
police scanners will work, and we can provide fixed-tuned receivers for
about $10 apiece if the quantity is large enough. It's been a hard sell
as people really would prefer to tune in to an event radio on their
existing AM/FM receiver. We are interested only in providing the service
as a common carrier. There is interest in doing this sort of thing at
conventions, rallies and all sorts of other events. We have access to
these channels through other licensees in much of the rest of the US as
well. If there is a group interested in pursuing the business and
financial aspects of this, the legal and technical part is already done
... please contact me off list and we can discuss the details.

--
David Josephson