[VAL] Armstrong AC - Chris Koehn

Chris, I had a similar problem.  The  two EE's (Gerald J. and Karl) gave me a
probability of a bad starting relay.  I tried the rubber hammer trick, to no
avail.  Taking off and replacing the AC cover takes a bit of patience, but
replacing the two above items is a snap.  On my Armstrong (75 AS), they are in
a small alum box on the curb side, sort of around the corner from the
compressor.  I took both to an AC parts house.  I think both were about  $50,
so obviously I paid retail walk in.  As I recall, the replacement starting
relay had 5 terminal posts and the old only had three.  The counter person
told me what two to not use, although the pattern for those to be used were
the same as on the old relay.  In the meantime, a friend with AC expertise
heard about my AC.  He told me where to get the parts and to not put the cover
on until he came by to check my work.  After telling me I did it correctly, he
said what I have read on this list several times "this AC has all commercial
parts, everything is replaceable".  We have made two lengthy trips since then
and it cools like very cold.  Ned Digh