Re: [VAL] Interested in VAC

Hello Larry,

You have come to a good place! You are also in luck, Wisconsin has quite an
active group of VAC folks. In your area I would contact Ed Emerick. He is a
past president of WBCCI's Wisconsin unit and the 1st VP for the VAC. His
email is EEMERICK@new.rr.com

If you are able, come out to visit the Rocky Mountain Rally in Colorado
Springs CO. It runs Aug 5-10. There will be an open house on Sat the 6th. I
hear that there are 80 signed up with a waiting list to boot! You are sure
to be able to talk with people to your heart's content and to see one of the
largest gatherings of vintage Airstreams.

It sounds like you are very able to restore just about anything you would
find in a vintage Airstream short of a major wreck. Not many trailers need
aluminum replacement. Even so there are places that will do that work for
you. However I do agree, it is easier just to purchase one that is in good
shape to begin with! Just make sure that the buyer demonstrates that
everything works!

As far as years go, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. They are all good
trailers. They all have quirks. Some are more quirky than others, but even
those with the "dreaded" frame/shell separation the repair is not normally
difficult or expensive. That said, I would stay away from the 40's pipe
frames unless you are willing to do a frame replacement before you are going
to take her in the road. Do your homework. Take the time to find what you
want in a trailer as far as size and floor plan. When you find it, make sure
that you know what works and what does not, then go for it. When you do
contact me for both WBCCI and VAC membership applications!

Scott Scheuermann
VAC Membership