Re: [VAL] Towing

Greetings Barb!

Welcome to the world of Airstream ownership!

You are very close to if not over both the factory trailer
tow limit as well as the the GCVWR for a '97 C/K 1500
Suburrban -- so towing in "third" or direct is almost a
requirement (I suspect that your owners' manual will also
stipulate such as I know that my K1500 Chevrolet Pickup
manual did).  With a C1500 Suburban, your factory trailer
tow rating with 3.73 differential was at most 6,500 pounds
while with a K1500 Suburban, your factory triler tow rating
with 3.73 differentials was at most 6,000 pounds; so my
suspicion is that you are likely very close to (if not over)
the GCVWR.

If you are going by nothing other than the published dry
weight of the coach, the figure is likely far from correct
-- both of my coaches have somewhat higher empty weights due
to permanenctly installed optional equipment and accessories
-- in addition, it can be quite deceiving how much weight
personal possessions can contribute to the gross weight of a
coach.  My suggestion would be to have both your Suburban
and Coach weighed when loaded for a trip to verify how close
you are to your tow vehicle's maximum capacities -- I know
that my '64 Overlander was an overload for my '95 K1500
Chevrolet club cab pickup at 6,100 pounds gross loaded
weight (4,444 pounds empty weight) - - you are describing
exactly what I experienced with my K1500 Chevrolet pickup
(6,000 pound trailer towing package) and the Overlander and
is one of the reasons that I now tow the Overlander almost
exclusively with my K2500 Suburban with 10,000 pound trailer
tow package.

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin D. Allen
WBCCI/VAC/Free Wheelers/Computer Club #6359
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400
VORTEC/4.10 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado
Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)