[VAL] Re: VAL Digest V2 #298

Not so fast on the Urban Legends hoax site.....

Urban Legends has several misinformation and propaganda on their site.
Google "Do Not Call" and the first site listed is
https://www.donotcall.gov/default.aspx. Check out the site.  Observe the
Do Not Call logo.  Click on Privacy and Security link from this page and
you get the Federal Trade Commission statement and website.

This is not a hoax.  There is a National Do Not Call list and you can
register your Cell phone number - any number, without calling from that
number.
<http://www.wifeysworld.com/images/home/siteoftheweek.gif>
Quest is (was) trying to produce a cell phone directory as were others a
couple of years ago.

Think about it - increasing numbers are dropping their land lines in
favor of cell only service - for the annoynomity and less taxation and
freedom to roam with one number.  Why wouldn't phone companies,
telemarketers and the government jurisdictions want a database of these
numbers and owners?

I agree NOT to call the toll free number, as you can do it as or more
securely from the government sponsored website.  I would be suspect of
calling from the number in fear of it being like the "fax line error -
call and get your fax number removed" b.s.  All that does it give the
fax number to more fax broadcasting telemarketers.

I am actually more suspect of the Urban Legends website.  I think they
know not all the facts themselves.  Be as aware of them as the hoaxes
going on out there.

2" that hopefully will help keep our cell numbers ours, not advertising
and annoyance vehicles.

Russ Wojtkiewicz