RE: [VAL] Removing Silicone

Cleaning out this gunk really taught me to only seal with vulkem and
parbond!

I started using mineral spirits, which was hard to work with, then
moved on to Permatex Gasket Remover (better on silicone, but really
great on non-silicone sealers), then finally used Kleanstrip Adhesive
Remover, which gave me the best results.  Still, it involves a whole
lot of elbow grease.

Folks also seem to like 3m Adhesive Remover, but I couldn't find it for
sale.  If you want stuff that really works, I understand the best
available silicone remover is a specialty product--Amtex CCR, which is
manufactured for industrial silicone removal.  However, at 31.85 a
quart, it may be pricy enough for you to struggle with more available
silicone removers.  It is available at
http://www.amtexchemical.com/pages/8/index.htm

Mary

PS: If you are interested, I have pictures and more details on how I
removed it from my windows on my repair blog:
http://toastertales.blogspot.com/ ---scroll to the entries concerning
windows.