[VAL] Removing Silicone

Chuck and Lynn,
I removed about two inches of solid silicone from over and under my rear
window driprail before polishing my Caravanner. The rear window leaked until
I removed the silicone, then it stopped. Some misguided former owner thought
that was how leaks are cured. I found a silicone remover in the hardware
store. I don't recall the name, but it was made from orange oil. It didn't
work fast, but it slowly softened and crept under the silicone, loosening
its grip on the aluminum. I think that's all you can expect. Use plastic
putty knives, popsicle sticks, and those wooden cuticle removers to scrape
the silicone off. Keep the silicone wet with the remover (it's oily) and
come back each day and scrape and soak the stuff. It doesn't give up without
a fight. It took me a couple of weeks to remove it all.
Good luck,
Brian Jenkins