[VAL] Front door woes

VAClisters,

Lurking here enjoying all the great info, weblinks and suppliers info
for a couple of months.  I am a new owner of a vintage 1970 Overlander
International.  Nice find without TOO much surprises yet.  But its still
early in its restoration and updates.  Having new tires put on her
today.  Fridge works on both sources now and the range, 110v and 12v
systems, for the most part.  A couple of quirks need attention.  But she
gets a "maiden voyage" on a weekend stay at an area lake this weekend.
Should be fun.

The question is: My front door will latch if I am outside with a slight
bit of persuasion (pressure) next to the latch/handle and I have gotten
the lock/latch to working fine.  Problem is it won't latch from the
inside as though the screen is preventing it or the door is sprung
enough as to not allow what pulling force is allowed to latch the door.

I read in my service manual recently aquired from Jackson Center that I
can remove the upper or lower half inside skin and try and reshape the
door.  but that's more than I can do between late today and Friday
morning.  Are there any other tips, tricks, hard knocks and such I can
try or should do or look at to get my front door to completely operate
properly.

One of the PO installed a deadbolt to the left (toward front) and cutout
a crude hole in the door for the plunger.  Of course, none of it lines
up, so even trying to use that to latch the door isn't working.  And I
have tried to adjust it, but there is no play in it.

Also, anyone have a grab handle they would like to sell me?  Mine is
missing.

Looking forward to some great ideas or "lotsa luck".  It may require a
trip to the Council Bluffs A/S dealer.  Speaking of which, anyone have
any opinions on them before I look them up?

Thanks in advance,

Russ Wojtkiewicz
Kansas City, MO
1970 27' Overlander International