[VAL] 1971 exterior (entry) door handle

Hey Mark White,

Karl's experience is a familiar one. For $500, I'd search by phone or
email and ask around until I found someone who knew how to do that job.
You already have email access to at least 1,000 Airstream owners (this
list and the Airstream list) and that's only the tip of the iceberg if
you decided to search seriously.

It's like Thomas A. Edison once said: "Opportunity is missed by most
people because it is dressed in overalls, and looks like work."

Those of us who have led or have been a member of a WBCCI caravan know
it's a common occurrence for the Caravan Mechanic to fix locks during
the caravan. Seasoned Caravan Mechanics who started out in the 1960-70s
have this skill and others not commonly available at RV dealerships.

At the very minimum, contact Oasis RV in Tuscon (either by phone
800.658.5863 or email - jpershing@oasisrv.com)  just to be sure that
what you need isn't sitting in one of those cardboard boxes underneath
the front counter. Been there, done that and saved a bundle.

Third suggestion:

[a] - After you're squared away, your lock is fixed and it works again,
add "find a spare lock" to your "perpetual to-do list." That's the list
you carry in your wallet everywhere you go on the continent. Check it
each time you walk into a current or ex-Airstream dealership's parts
department.

[b] - Also, learn which dealerships have been in the Airstream business
the longest and include a visit to them when next you travel in their
state. Make a new friend and get their email address.

[c] - Dealerships are not created equal. Some are actively restoring
old Airstreams because they have workers with old time skills.
Likewise, there are specialty shops where vintage Airstreams are
commonly repaired as part of their major business, i.e. P&S in Ohio.

The name of the game for all of us on this list is spare parts. Any
time I'm in an RV dealership and notice a particular part that's
exactly the same as one that's working well in my old Airstream, I buy
it. True, some of those parts will never be used by me, but none of
them will diminish in value. All I need do is look on eBay to verify
that.

And who knows, I may be on another caravan and my obsolete part can
save the day for someone. Or - someone may save my bacon with their
obsolete part. Bartering works both ways. All of us are in this
together.

Terry