[VAL] Removing an exterior Heater cover

I'm helping a friend polish his 1962 Overlander and we've been stumped when
trying to remove the exterior cover from his propane furnace.  It looks a lot
like a Bowen water heater cover from the same period - a big rectangular sheet
metal box sort of cover, that sticks out from the side of the trailer about
3 - 4".  We found some sheet metal screws located between the cover and the
trailer sidewall, securing the cover to an exhaust tube,  but there still seems
to be something else holding it on, or some sort of interference with the other
exterior sheet metal pieces.  Anyone been there, done that? that can give us
some tips (short of a hacksaw and torch)?  My friend would be forever indebted
if you can help prevent some serious metal bending to his nearly polished
' 62.

Thanks,
John Leggett
San Fran